Thermoforming is the process of shaping objects from polymeric materials such as:
- styrene plastics, e.g. PS (Polystyrene) or ABS (Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene),
- pololefins such as: PE (polyethylene) or PP (polypropylene),
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride),
- PET (polyethylene terephthalate),
- PMMA (Polymethyl methacrylate),
- or biodegradable plastics – PLA (Poliactide).
The process consists in heating the material in the form of plates or foil to the state in which it reaches plasticity and then forming it to the desired shape by means of pressure or underpressure.